Monday, February 27, 2012

Happy Birthday, Kimmy!

In addition to it being my very talented little sister Kim's birthday, this date marks the twentieth anniversary of the publication of my first original book, DANGER FUNNIES ONE. Published by the incredible Do-it-yourself creative team of Joe Monks and Joseph Michael Linsner in 1992, DANGER FUNNIES was my first attempt at writing and illustrating a Romance comic, in a moment when the genre had mostly fallen out of favor with the public. Monks long ago encouraged me to call it a "self-published book," but I've always been grateful to "the two Joes," who with their popular CRY FOR DAWN imprint, helped me find a way to get my peculiar cartoons out into the marketplace. Ten years after leaving Marvel Comics, I was finally confident enough creatively to complete a personal project and "leap into the fray"... and I haven't looked back since. So, in celebration, (feel free to throw confetti if you like, eggs if you dislike) I present to you the entire project absolutely FREE for your reading and downloading pleasure. (Click each image to enlarge!)






















And there you have it! The front cover photo was taken by the celebrated childrens book author Nina Crews and the back cover was graced by an image by another friend, the muralist Cruzy Ferreiera. The first story received a bit of notoriety and praise for the male character getting naked before the female protagonist did, the second tale featured a poem by Dr. Maya Angelou that I paid for the rights to publish out of my own slacker pockets and the last tale is unapologetically self-indulgent moaning. DANGER FUNNIES ONE was an odd thing to be making during the rise of Image comics, and I don't know if it's ever found its place, but I'm glad to have made it and I'm grateful for all that's come since.
We celebrated the release with a series of parties in Greenwich Village, all of the original art pages on display in a couple of popular bars and cafes, featuring live vocal performances by Kim Tooks and the a capella group Vision... and a good time was had by all!


And here's the lovely visage of one of my favorite people in the world, immortalized by another of my favorite people in the world.

Save me some cake!
Lance Tooks

LINKS:
  • Nina Crews website

  • Joe Monks website

  • Joseph Michael Linsner website


  • PS...
  • Check out what they're saying about AFRICAN-AMERICAN CLASSICS at Amazon.com! Order now!
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home